It’s easy to become embarrassed by urinary and bladder disorders, but you do not have to suffer problems or associated pain. The Group for Women provides compassionate, thorough urogynecological care for all women. Whether you face urinary issues as a result of aging, illness, or trauma, we can provide proper treatment and counseling so you can enjoy an active, healthy lifestyle.
What is Urogynecology?
Urogynecology is a subspecialty within Obstetrics and Gynecology, and it is dedicated to the study, diagnosis and treatment of women with pelvic floor disorders. The professional team in our Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake offices specialize in various treatments related to urogynecology:
- Incontinence – Loss of bladder control is possible due to aging or illness. We can help you control your bladder and prevent accidents.
- Urinary Infections – We can examine potential treatments for infections brought on by illness.
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse – Pelvic organs can become dislodged as a result of menopause or childbirth. We offer treatments to restore your body.
- Interstitial Cystitis – If you experience pain during intercourse or urinary discomfort and/or frequency, you may suffer an inflammation of the bladder. Let us offer the right treatment for you.
Why does this happen?
Your pelvic floor can bulge or fall after delivering a baby, daily heavy lifting, obesity, severe constipation or chronic coughing. Frequently, women can experience a prolapse and incontinence at the same time.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Accurate diagnosis is an important first step in the treatment process, and it will help your doctor determine the best course of treatment. The Group for Women uses state-of-the-art diagnostic procedures including:
- Office Diagnostic Hysteroscopy
- Endometrial Biopsy
- Vulvar and Cervical Biopsy
Here are some helpful links about Urogynecology:
Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery
A treatment for pelvic floor disorder is Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery, involving surgical treatment for restoring normal female anatomy and function. This Specialty specializes in pelvic surgery. The surgical procedures for the specific prolapse can be performed with the traditional open surgery, laparoscopically and now with a new category of surgery called the da Vinci® Surgical System. It is a minimally invasive approach, using the latest in surgical and robotics technologies and is ideal for delicate urologic surgery.
Using da Vinci, surgeons have a better tool to spare those delicate and critical surrounding nerves. This may improve your recovery experience and clinical outcomes with such benefits as:
- Significantly less pain
- Less blood loss
- Fewer complications
- Less scarring
- A shorter hospital stay
- And a faster return to normal daily activities
For more information or to schedule a consult with your physician please contact The Group for Women today at 757-466-5751.